The Tawa Residents’ Association is a passionate and committed group of citizens of Tawa, working together and with other local groups to support and promote a vibrant, energetic Tawa.
Until 2016, we were known as the Tawa Ratepayers and Progressive Association. From 2016 – 2018, we were also known as Vibrant Tawa. While a more vibrant Tawa is still our aim, we’re now called the Tawa Residents Association.
Who we are
Current committee members
Tony Hassed – Chairperson
Steph Knight and Susan Cottle – Secretaries
Peter Bower – Treasurer
Stacey Richardson (Events, Website, Spring into Tawa)
Fiona Wild (Hanging Baskets and Potted Plants)
Robyn Parkinson (Tawa Community Garden)
Deputy Mayor Jill Day
Councillor Malcolm Sparrow
Councillor Peter Gilberd
CLICK TO OPEN
What we do
We promote and support a range of initiatives in Tawa that promote and support strong community connections and resilience. Each year we host Spring into Tawa [link], the annual festival which is now firmly on the Tawa calendar as the must do event.
We work closely with the Tawa Business Group [link] and the Tawa Community Board [link] to jointly work on projects that promote Tawa.
We work with the Wellington City Council to support and provide input into Council initiatives in Tawa as well as into broader planning and Council matters including transport, infrastructure, planning, and resilience and parking issues. The Tawa Community Board is our suburb’s official link into Council and we work closely with the Board to support them in their role.
Our current activities
We’re currently working on a range of projects including:
- Spring into Tawa (annual)
- Hosting the Christmas Festival with the Tawa School Home and School Committee (annual)
- Redeveloping the Tawa Skate Park (early planning stages)
- Supporting more murals and community art around Tawa
- Connecting community organisations and volunteers
- A new website for Tawa – bringing together information, a calendar of events and a whole range of community driven content
- Information for people new to Tawa letting them know who is who – and all the groups and services in our suburb
- Supporting the care and replacement of the hanging baskets along the Main Road, and exploring other areas for potted colour
- Working with representatives from the Tawa Business Group and the Tawa Community Board as part of the Tawa Think Tank – exploring new ideas for Tawa
What we have done
The Tawa Ratepayers and Progressive Association has a long and proud history in Tawa. By early 2016, the group was quite low key. A small group of passionate and enthusiastic Tawa residents joined the group which re-branded as Vibrant Tawa.
This group made huge achievements including:
- Re-launching Spring into Tawa as a local and regional festival, taking it from a small local market day to an all day festival
- Driving the establishment of the Tawa Business Improvement District and Business Group
- Attracting new businesses to Tawa including The Borough
- Working with the Council on significant investments in Tawa including the plaza upgrade (ongoing), the Mural on the New World wall and the pedestrian crossings
- Working with the Council to redevelop the Bike Pump Track by Tawa Station
- Working with the Tawa Community Board and Tawa Business Group to develop the new Tawa logo – a fresh, vibrant new look to promote Tawa
How to contact us
We’re on Facebook – follow Vibrant Tawa for news and updates on events and groups in Tawa.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Committee meet on the second Monday of each month, usually at the Tawa Squash Club. All welcome.